2.18.2014

The One About a Post-Wedding-Wedding

I was a bridesmaid in a friends wedding last year. Besides the threat of thunderstorms, the sweltering humidity and some moments/actions that truly left me scratching my head, it was quite a lovely event. The bride was beautiful, the groom handsome, they said "I do" and everyone lived.

While my dream did not start as anything relating to a wedding, it certainly ended with one. I remember at the beginning, vacationing at a beach resort. The technicolored days were spent splashing in waves and riding sea turtles. I remember being disappointed about not being able to go down the whirly-twirly water slide and although a reason was not given, I'm *sarcasm alert* SUUUUUUURE it was a logical one.

Each time I physically wake up and go back to sleep, there's always the chance the dream will pick up right where it left of but sometimes it takes a twist. The twist here was now I was vacationing at a beach resort in asian metropolis. Same thing, but now the entire night sky was lit up with brilliantly lit flashing displays and advertisements. Tired of turtle riding and wave hopping, I decided to explore the area. It seemed a pretty popular destination was an old lighthouse and museum that had been remodeled and turned into a hot spot for people looking to party. I was drawn to it like a kid to a foam filled bounce house.

ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE. ALL KINDS OF PARTIES. As I moved from room to room, the feel of things changed dramatically. There was ravers, the couch potato stoners, a room where it was high tea and crumpets, beer infused frat displays of masculinity, the cling of champagne glasses by spinning formal gowns and tuxes... then finally I came to a bi-level room, the top room with rows of ornate chairs and an aisle with a stage just before the railing, below a crowd of college kids having a good time.

This is where the wedding was to be. The guest were arriving, I was in my navy gown and suddenly there were triple the bridesmaids than were originally slated. The bouquets were in hand, the sun was shining through the big bay windows at the back but the groom was glued to the wall along the side like he was a late arrival to an overcrowded event. He wouldn't budge, instead choosing to participate from afar. The bride was a stunning vision of white and sparkly things as she walked down the aisle, but she was unfortunately quickly recognized by a drunken slosh from the party below. We all stood amazed as the co-ed in the skin tight black and blue color block dress climbed with bare feet over the railing, defying the laws of gravity, to grab the bride with the intent to drag her to party below. Clearly, she wasn't comprehending that there was something pretty significant the bride was involved with at the time but luckily, bridesmaids were able to grab hold of the brides dress to keep her from tumbling over the railing.

So the wedding continued with the bride at the alter and the groom content to yell his vows from his position as a wall-flower when near the end, the party below transformed into a perfectly timed swaying southern gospel choir in magnificent robes. As they broke out in song, I grabbed the mic and the dream ended with a show stopping performance of "Oh Holy Night". - 4:57am

No comments: