2.17.2014

The One About Quark Chiclets

Let me set this dream story up by saying in real life, I keep running into individuals/organizations that are using Microsoft Publisher for their design, the 97 edition. *sigh* Any graphic designer understands that sigh.


So, I started a new job at a mega campus where they made disposable shoes. I had no shoes of my own and it being the first day, how could I go to work for a shoe company with no shoes. I selected a pair of plum low-heeled pumps out of the vending machine.


The megaplex was so large, it took me hours to find where I was supposed to go and along my journey, I broke a heel. Of course. I mean they are supposed to be disposable but still. When I arrived to the area the designers were holed up in, I stood in the doorway like a cow stubbornly refusing to get loaded onto the meat wagon. It was a dank 10x8 room with prison windows along the top with about 12 designers crammed like sardines. The room had the same exact feel as the break room from my very first job when I was 16, McDonalds. It was depressing to spend 30 minutes of my day in that room back then.


There was a desk/bar that ran along each wall of the room and each designer had a SINGLE monitor from the 80's, all different models, shapes and sizes. If you stood in the center of the room you could see everything on everyone's screen (which to me is a creative nightmare). I could see pixels the size of Chiclets Chewing Gum. THEY DID EVERYTHING IN QUARK and some program called Pixelator, which may or may not actually be a program. In this world, vectors did not exist!!!!

I didn't even sit down at my station. I did what everyone does in this position in a dream. I hunted down the CEO, determined he was single (apparently so was I) and sweet talked my way into individual offices with top notch equipment and NO MORE QUARK! We were in the middle of a lovely dinner when I woke up. A designer's gotta do what a designers gotta do.

No comments: