3.26.2006

Obsessed? with Claw Machines

It has been taunting me for at least 6-8 weeks. Everytime I passed by, the claw machine at the local Wal-Mart, it's beady little eyes peering out at me, knowing I can't get at it as it was always buried under less than desirable multicolored animals.

Every week that Penguin would miraculously move about but never close enough to the top to ever hope capturing it.

Last night... I made a quick stop on my way out and noticed it close to the top... but with something on top of it. So, I thought to myself... why not, and preceded to dig for spare quarters... cause baby I was going for it!

There was an older man standing next to the machines and he was watching me as it became apparent that I was going to attempt getting a prize. He walked over towards me and asked "well which one are you going for?"

After I told him that I was going after the Penguin (which happened to be the one of the Madagascar Penguins), he leaned closer and asked "How would you like me to make it easier for you?"

I know had this look that said... "okay you strange man go for it". That's when he took his keys and opened the machine and puts it riiiiiight next to the hole. I was ecstatic. It was so easy, I could have just pushed it over with the claw.

So what happens... I grabbed the fuzzy purple elephant thing behind it and won that.

*GRRRR*

After the man finished laughing at my obvious frustration, he asked me if I was interested in a trade. When I heard those words, "I'll let you trade", I jumped around like a 3 year old getting a sucker from the quarter machines.

So he opened the machine again... grabbed the Penguin for me and handed it to me. I quickly gave him the flamboyant elephant and rolled on out of there, grinning from ear to ear.

It was then that the deviousness of this penguin became apparent, and it thwarted me again by escaping. As I was walking to the car, it threw itself out of the cart in a desperate attempt to excape. I didn't notice it's absense until I had reached my destination.

I simply couldn't let this threat to our national security wander around the Wal-Mart parking lot, so once I realized it was on the loose, I hurried back to where I was parked and traced my steps. It wasn't long before I found it.

Dammit! I wanted that penguin... and now it's safely in a cage. Don't worry folks, I have my eye on it now and I won't let it happen again.

No comments: