9.18.2005

Exotic Beavers

I was talking to Jeff about our perception of what we think of as exotic animals. They are only "exotic" because they are only native to a continent from which we did not originate. If we had grown up in African countries, lions and zebras and tigers wouldn't be such a big deal. However, animals like the moose, alligators, coyotes, and raccoons are not so exoctic because they live on our own continent.

So, he told me that there was a particular animal activist group that wanted to import endangered species from other places and put them in areas of similar enviroment, basically a place where nothing exists... like Nebraska. So basically, they wanna let lions, giraffes, and elephants loose. I'm okay with that, I'm not a cornhuskers fan anyways.

But that brought up the question, by me of course, is there a place where beavers don't exist. The answer to that question was found in Sunday mornings comic section.

Beavers are not found in Brazil... at least not the wood chewing kind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we should export nutria. Like Thailand or something. Or Australia. Overpopulation and all that.